Skip to main content

How my family and I have banned plastic in our home : Earth Day Special Essay (2nd Prize Winner) by Enakshi Pramanik, Grade VII, Funlish Language School

 


Nowadays, plastics are very common all over the world, but these plastics can lead to severe health diseases.

 It’s an incident which happened about three years ago. It was my first day at school in class 4. It was a bright sunny day. I was going to school, early morning, when I saw a malodorous garbage dump at the side of the road which made our environment poisonous. It was fully dumped with polythene bags, plastic bottles and rotten garbage.

That day, our school bus got late due to traffic. So, after reaching my school, my friends and I rushed in so that we did not have to wait till the gate reopened after the prayer.

Then, after two classes were over, the bell rang and the time came to start the geography class. We were all very excited to know who our new session’s geography teacher was.

 After our teacher entered the classroom, everyone shouted “Hurray! it’s our previous year’s geography teacher!” Her name was Soma Bhattacharya. She was an ideal teacher who taught students in a funny way. She was as sweet as sugar and was very caring towards her students.

“Hello, students, how are you? I missed you all so much” she said very politely.

We answered “We all are fine, Ma’am. How are you?”

She answered “I passed through a very bad time during the session break. I was having breathing problems due to the polluted environment”

 “So, let’s study on the topic ‘environment’” she said.

She taught us that the main reason behind our polluted environment was plastic! After that, she gave us a project work on the topic “SAY NO TO PLASTIC”.

After reaching home, I took a nap and started working on the project. While making the poster, I thought that my family members and I might suffer from breathing issues as well just like my teacher. I felt bad for her. 

After three months, one day, I felt very sick. At that time, I was on my summer holidays. My parents took me to the doctor’s chamber. I was cured in a day. The doctor said, “Due to the pollution, some pollutants went into her lungs which resulted in such a dangerous situation”.

Suddenly, I remembered my teacher’s illness and realised that I had faced a similar situation.

From then on, my family members and I stopped using plastic things. We use jute bags for shopping and steel bottles for drinking water.

 

 

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

This isn't a Feminist Mark : A poem by Anushka Jana

 However much we think, Or hate the colour pink, Can we be fearless like you? Or be as daring as you? Do you think we’ve purpose, Like delicate flowers, a simple rose? To exhibit when it’s fresh, And throw when reduced to flesh?   Will it be a sin to do? Things that most of you do, Blaming, shaming and curbing us, We wonder how many of us you did curse! And why would you do so? Because we let our ambitions grow? Because we step out of veils And look fabulous in our esteem, Or because we love ourselves And try to look out of kitchen shelves? We dream to invent remedies, To sign important treaties, Pen down novels without pen names And excel in various games. Driving cars and repairing lights And guarding streets on dark nights And to speak, to debate, We want to do things and not wait. And we didn’t sink our hearts, Neither focus only on sewing skirts, Nor on only cooking for your bunch of kids, But we tried to help you pay h

SDG Story Writing Contest (1st Prize Winner) : Who is the Best---The 17 SDGs by Rumish Ali Saif, Seth Anandram Jaipuria School, India

  A civilization rides on the shoulders of its youth force. And when the question is of existence or sustenance of the planet as a whole, the children and the youth of the entire world need to come together, think together and act together to make that possible. Let us read what some of them have to say to us through their stories on SDGs, ponder on what they are trying to say, act accordingly and try and change our ways of life. Perhaps this is the only way we can ensure that human civilization is not wiped out of the face of this Earth.

Write up on International Women's Day by Bhoomi Rathod

By:- Bhoomi Rathod Class IX Prabhat Kids School, Akola, Maharashtra, India